GIC is now Certified to test for Radon!!
Radon – The Silent Killer
Whether you own a new home or an older home, Radon is a concern for all homeowners. The unfortunate story is that most homeowners are not aware of this silent killer. It has been proven that this gas is becoming the second leading cause of Lung Cancer in the U.S. However the good news is that it is easily detectable and controllable.
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that comes from the natural breakdown of uranium. You cannot see or taste this gas, which makes it all the more dangerous. The side effects of exposure to high levels of Radon over time could take years to surface. It is estimated that close to 8 million homes have elevated levels of Radon in their home.
This gas has to have a direct path to the atmosphere in order to break down in a healthy manor. Homes can become a “closed box” structure by keeping this gas from exiting into the atmosphere safely. If there are any cracks or holes in the foundation, these gases will release through this area into the home. Thus creating a sealed box for the gases to build up over time. The Radon gas is then distributed throughout the home by the ventilation system. Breathing in large amounts of this gas can lead to health complications down the road.
Below is a map of Kansas and Missouri. The red areas on the map represent the counties that have the highest recorded levels of Radon gases. Much of the Kansas City Metro area falls into the red. This is why it is very important to have your home tested.
GIC is now certified to test your home for this silent killer and would like to help you as a homeowner gain piece of mind about your safety.
Call us today at 816-301-4448 to schedule an appointment and have your home tested.