Say Goodbye to Incandescent Light Bulbs in 2014
Some of you might not have realized, but legislation passed in 2007 by George W. Bush will ban the production of 40 & 60 watt incandescent light bulbs beginning today. This was part of a law that slowly phased out all incandescents. In 2012 all 100 watt bulbs were prohibited from being manufactured and in 2013 the production of 75 watt bulbs ended. So it is in 2014 that we finally bid farewell to the incandescent light bulb.
Don’t worry though. This could actually save you big bucks while reducing your carbon footprint. Incandescent lighting is highly inefficient utilizing around only 10% of the energy used to actually produce light. The other 90% is used to produce heat, which in the summer months raises your cooling expenses.
There are a wide variety of efficient lighting options including CFLs (compact florescents) and LEDs (light emitting diodes). GE offers a CFL that uses 75% less energy than a standard incandescent and last approximately 7 years. Some LEDs claim to last up to 22 years and use even less energy than a CFL.
Happy New Year from Green Improvement Consulting! We hope this year is even more efficient than the last. Visit GE’s website for more information about lighting options.