Energy Audit Kansas City

Today energy auditor, Sean Durkin saved a homeowner from potentially deadly levels of carbon monoxide. As part of all energy audits conducted by Green Improvement Consulting gas combustion appliances in the home are tested for proper drafting and CO levels.

When Sean arrived at the house early this morning the homeowner explained that she had been suffering from the flu over the past two weeks. Sean tested the area around the furnace. He found CO levels over 130 parts per million (ppm) in the ambient air and a staggering 70,000 ppm in the furnace itself. Levels of CO between 35 ppm and 200 ppm cause flu like symptoms such as headaches and runny nose. Had the homeowner not had this testing done on the home she would have continued to feel these flu like symptoms. If the furnace started leaking more carbon monoxide into the air the situation could have turned deadly. Too make the situation even more dangerous there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

When we see high levels of carbon monoxide in a home we immediately shut off the furnace and educate the homeowner on the danger of living with high levels of CO in the house. This particular customer will be doing her heating temporarily with space heaters while GIC works with her to correct the problem.

Prevent CO poisoning this winter by:

  • Installing a CO detector at every level of the home.
  • Have your gas combustion appliances serviced and checked regularly by a qualified technician.
  • Regularly inspect chimneys and flues to ensure there is nothing blocking them such as birds nests.
  • Never use a BBQ to heat your home.
  • Never start a car, lawnmower or any gas operated equipment in a closed garage.

Sean’s hard work saved another life. A hero to some, just another day’s work at GIC.

Green Improvement Consulting on Citysearch